Francis H. Rowley, 1886.
1. I will sing the wondrous story of the Christ Who died for me.
How He left His home in glory for the cross of Calvary.
Yes, I’ll sing the wondrous story
Of the Christ Who died for me,
Sing it with the saints in glory,
Gathered by the crystal sea.
2. I was lost, but Jesus found me, found the sheep that went astray,
Threw His loving arms around me, drew me back into His way.
3. I was bruised, but Jesus healed me, faint was I from many a fall,
Sight was gone, and fears possessed me, but He freed me from them all.
4. Days of darkness still come o’er me, sorrow’s path I often tread,
But His presence still is with me; by His guiding hand I’m led.
5. He will keep me till the river rolls its waters at my feet;
Then He’ll bear me safely over, where the loved ones I shall meet.